Saturday, October 31, 2009

Day 49, 50, 51, 52 - Oct. 27, 28, 29, 30

Happy Halloween Everyone.

It has been one hell of a week and I did not stop. I had fund raising for the United Way, Vendor events, and working out with a bum knee. Tired just does not discribe how I was feeling. But that week is past now and I had a good aquatic workout this morning with my sister. Her friend, Oscar, was our instructor this morning and boy did he work us out. But I always feel great after a workout, I feel energized.

We had a chili lunch yesterday at work and my committee came up with 5 different types of chili to sell to raise money for United Way. I made a 5 bean chili and I am going to give you that recipe today in my recipe column.

My good friend Nancy quit smoking over 3 weeks ago and all of her friends are very proud of her. When we were speaking last week I said now that you have quit you need to replace the bad habit with a good habit. And that is so true. I work out everyday and I have cut out all the garbage food. With Nancy we talked about her going to her community centre and walking the track with her friend Susan. Nancy is retired now so she really needs to get the good habit going now so that she will not be thinking about smoking. It will also help her with her sleeping habits.

That is a great seguey into my subject today. Schedule your fitness. I train with Joseph every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I workout on my gazelle on Tuesday and Thursdays and I do aquatics with my sister on Saturdays. Sunday I sleep until I wake up. That is my schedule.

Schedule your fitness activities like any other important, high-profile appointment. Then make sure it happens just as you would with your doctor or dentis. In order for you to achieve your fitness goals you need to workout at least 3 times a week consistently. Consistency is absolutely necessary for success. If you do not take the time to plan your schedule, and follow it, you won't get the results in the time period you want. Approach workouts and fitness as you would any other important priority in your life and it won't be long before it becomes part of your lifestyle.

As we all know, occasionally things disrupt our schedules. Have a plan "B" as a substitute if your first plan falls through. Don't let the normal course of life's little roadblocks and obstacles get in the way of one of your highest priorities - your health and personal fitness. The main point is to do something regularly. Injure a leg? Work around it. Just because you're injured doesn't mean you can not exercise the rest of your body (like me this last week with my knee). You will have to modify the program you set out for yourself but still have a good workout. Try smimming, walking, or biking around your neighborhood. I go to GoodLife and I have a trainer but you need to set your schedule now. Get your calender for November and schedule 3 days a week (or more) with at least 30-45 minutes of exuberant exercise.

Next we will talk about creating fun in your workout. I have fun with Joseph. He works me out hard but we laugh and have fun as well. I don't think I could workout with a monotone, humdrum person. Joseph is more suited to my personality. That is what you need to find. A friend who thinks the same way that you do and if you go the training route do not be afraid to to say something if the person training you does not suit your personality. You are the customer.

That's all for now.

Take care

Betty.

ps..take a look at my pictures of me at the wedding...I felt great.

1 comment:

Tina said...

You go girl! We're so proud of you, and yes you are right, even if you don't have .trainer, walking is a great excerice.

We just got back from climbing some damn mountain in the Hunan province, and 2 years ago, it was tough. Now our legs are accustomed to climbing and when we move back will miss it.

Keep it up, sounds like you are enjoying yourself.