Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 - Jan. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Sorry it has been a little while since my last blog. Pretty busy but now things have calmed down and I am back on track again.

I am very happy to announce that my good friends Tina and Mark are back in Chicago. Tina came in to Toronto on Wednesday and we had agreat time and got caught up and laughed a lot. It is nice to know that she is just a short plane ride away and not an 18 hour flight anymore. Although I am happy that she got to experience China and Nanc and I got to go and visit her there and I walked on the great wall. I might not have gone quite so soon if it had not been that Tina was in China. And while she was at my place she did a phone interview with the company she worked for when she left for China and they hired her back and she now has a job. So it looks like things are looking up for Tina.

My friend Mary took my Gazelle Edge and her and her husband Enzo took me out to dinner at my favorite restaurant Al Lago on the Lakeshore. Mike the owner does all the cooking and serving and he is just great. There is no menu so you tell Mike what you want and he cooks it up for you. I love the concept and everything is always great. Mary and Enzo liked it as well.

You've may remember that I told you very early in my blog that the best part of working out for me in the stretching. I still believe that with all my heart, really. I do like the working out and Joseph is great but I love the stretching. Joseph can now stretch my muscles far more than they could at the beginning. I am quite amazed. And it is imperative that you stretch after every exercise session. At home I have a poster of stretches that I can do after I workout. And don't stretch prior to your work out as your muscles should be warmed up before you stretch.

Stretching helps you become more flexible and is one of the key ways to stay young and increase the amount of activities you can do. Joseph just commented today that I can now do way more squats that I could at the beginning and that is because I am more flexible. At the end of your workout you should stretch for about 5 minutes, using stretching as a way to decompress, relax and rejuvenate. Stretching is a very important element in your personal fitness program. It lengthens tendons, warms up ligaments and prepares joints for work. I can attest to this as I can do more with my arthrytic knees that I ever could. As a result of stretching you will increase your range of motion, reduce muscle tension, prevent injury and just feel good all around.

Here are some formulas for successful stretching:

1) Relax while you are holding the stretch and the tension in the muscle should disappear. Picture your muscles getting longer as you are stretching.

2) Your breathing needs to be slow and controlled. If you are unable to breathe properly during a stretch you are not relaxed. Breath out initially if you bend over and then breathe slowing during the stretch. Do not hold your breath.

3) Initially you may find it helpful to count to yourself the number of seconds you have been stretching.

4) Remember the ideal time to stretch is when the muscles are already warmed up. If you stretch between sets or after your workout, it helps lactic acid and products out of the muscles.

5) Schedule a portion of your workout time for stretching and take 15 minutes at home to concentrate on your major muscle groups.

6) Make sure you are in a balanced position when stretching to prevent jerky, unsafe movements.

If anyone would like a copy of my stretching poster just send me an message and I will post it on my blog.

Next blog I will tell you all about my new Nordic Track which is being delivered and setup today. I am quite excited.

That is all for today.

Betty

1 comment:

Tina said...

It was great seeing you again as well.

Please post the stretches..

Thanks my dear